Thursday, April 16, 2009

John Madden Retires!



Its a sad day for the football world. Just hope the Madden football games don't stop.

Legendary sports broadcaster John Madden is retiring after over 30 years in the business.
NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol announced the news Thursday morning, calling Madden "the most honored broadcaster in sports television history."
NEW YORK - April 16, 2009 - NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored broadcaster in sports television history, has decided to retire from broadcasting. Madden issued the following statement today:

"It's time. I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not..."

"It's been such a great ride... the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion - it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have... that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League... my broadcasting partners Pat and Al... the production people and the fans...is still great... it's still fun and that's what it makes it hard and that's why it took me a few months to make a decision."

"I still love every part of it - the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people... but I know this is the right time."

John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored NFL broadcaster of all time, has served as the game analyst for "NBC Sunday Night Football" since 2006. Madden, who has won an unprecedented 16 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sports Analyst/Personality, is renowned by football fans nationwide for his ability to analyze the details of the game with wit, candor and an inimitable style. Madden has been an NFL broadcaster for 30 years. On February 1, Madden earned rave reviews and critical acclaim in his final game, the 11th Super Bowl he called - Super Bowl XLIII on NBC.

3 comments:

da part-a planna said...

BOOM!!!! Tough actin' Tinactin. LOL.... Imma miss him... one of the all-time greats........Much respect.

Anonymous said...

Yeah that voice will be missed. Damn I must be getting old!

LU said...

Boom...he's on his back!